Saturday, January 29, 2011

GOD’S WILL

I have been praying for weeks about the best thing to do. Today I just made three of the most difficult decisions in my life.

First resign, then turn down an offer in another broadsheet and finally to take the bar exams.

I was thinking, am I going nuts? Is this an impulsive decision on my part? The funny thing is after I made these decisions I was way happier than I was the minute earlier!

I have no idea about where these decisions will lead me, but I feel great and victorious for some reason that I myself cannot comprehend! Some people told me “Are you kidding me? Why did you turn it down?” or “Many people are looking for jobs and you resign from yours?”

Then I went back to one biblical verse that has been lost in my own oblivion for some time:

Jeremiah 29:11

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (NIV)

As I was praying a few weeks back, I was asking God “What is your will for me? what do you want me to do? Show me.”

Then, things started happening which led me to come to this decision. In His own way, God was showing the path that I must take.

True, the future is uncertain but shall I doubt God’s will for me?

A few years back I was just newly promoted in a call center when the opportunity to work for a newspaper came knocking at my doorstep. That very same day I prayed for guidance. Then God told me to let go of my current job and work as a reporter in a newspaper. And I said, is this the right thing to do? I do not even know the places in Manila or anything about straight news writing. Should I? Then God told me I must. I resigned, and most of my colleagues are saying “Are you crazy???”. At that time it was a difficult decision to make, but I trusted God’s will for me.

Starting out in the newspaper industry was tough. I was literally lost and do not really know what to do. Through time I learned, and I adopted despite the great odds. Two months after I resigned from my former job, the account was closed. And I told myself; Thank God I left and obeyed!

Meanwhile back at my newspaper job, I started to learn new things. I was hungry for knowledge, and I learned a lot from my fellow reporters at the DOJ.

Two years after, God is asking me to drop what I have and concentrate on my review. After days of fasting and prayer, I asked again if this is the right thing to do. Without any doubt, my heart feels that I must obey and heed His word.

Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (NIV) 

Then, after much prayer I sought the advice of those who are older and much wiser than I.

Proverbs 15:22
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. (NIV) 

In an article, it was stated that in difficult decisions it’s wise to get spiritual and practical counsel from the godly leaders in our life.

A pastor, elder, parent, or simply a mature believer can often contribute important insight, answer questions, remove doubts and confirm inclinations. Make sure to choose individuals who will offer sound biblical advice and not just say what you want to hear.

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (NIV) 

YOUR WILL BE DONE FATHER. Though things are not clear, and sometimes they do not make sense at the moment, I choose to trust God and nothing more.

No comments: