Saturday, June 11, 2011

ASD: A congenital heart condition that creeps later in life


Yes, I have a congenital heart disease called ASD (Atrial Septal Defect). It literally means that I have a hole in my heart.

When the doctor first told me about the bad news, I was really shocked! I mean, how was I able to live for 28 years with this condition and endure so many tragedies in my life? So when I got released from the hospital I researched about it and found out that most symptoms will not show until you reach the age of 30.

As my friend from EPH will say, "To have lived for 28 years with a hole in your heart means that God has special plans for you".

I live with the comfort that things happen for a reason. Recently I have been pondering about God's plan in my life. In my moments of despair I ask Him, "Lord favorite mo ba ako?"

I have been through a lot of difficulties and challenges. I lived through one operation already, and survived the ordeal of seeing my baby girl fight for her life. I have seen my life taken from me, my dreams crumbling away from me and my sanity bordering the line of oblivion. This is by far the worst. And I am only 28 years old.

Having ASD is like a death sentence. You cannot walk for long without stopping and catching your breath. You can no longer dance the night away, enjoy your favorite sports and even play with your little girl. That is how bad it is.

Yesterday my friend accompanied me to the Philippine Heart  Center to seek a second opinion. They basically told me the same thing. In the field of cardiology mine is still considered a minor operation. However if left uncorrected it will leave other complications later like a pulmonary hypertension and worst, a stroke.

I cried after hearing the possibility of having to undergo an open heart surgery. But if that is what it will take for me to live, then so be it. Money can be replaced but my life if not taken cared of will be lost forever. I am just praying that I will overcome this again.

It's funny how God operates sometimes. Now I understand why some of the things that I have been praying for in my life cannot happen yet. Now I realized why I am being constantly tested. To face big and great battles.

Now I offer this prayer:

"Lord, I come to you with my life wide open, asking for your divine help and healing. I know that there are times in my life that I have failed you but I know that I am still loved by You. I choose to trust you Father and know that through my life people will see that You have the power over sickness and disease. Thank you Father for everything in my life, and through your grace I know that I am saved. I pray all of these things through your Son Jesus Christ, Amen.."



Psalm 103:3-4

Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,

Jeremiah 30:17

"But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds," declares the LORD.


Please pray for me my friends. I know that with God's healing and protection, nothing can be against us.

No comments: